Thursday, September 28, 2006

Cell Phones

The most insidious device ever invented by man is the cell phone. All my suspisions and fears about carrying a cell phone have come true. Let me describe what happened yesterday on two different occasions throughout the day. I sat down at my desk to check a voicemail on my land line, as I was listening, someone was trying to ring through, also at the same time, my cell phone was ringing and it was work related. Why would you call someone's cell phone during normal business hours when they have a phone line? I'll tell you why, we have become a culture of instant gratification. Whenever some little thought or need pops into our heads, we start to freak out if we can't communicate it immeadiately. Look what I'm doing now! I could have waited til I saw all of you to spew this little rant, but now that not fazt enough, I have to get it out there! How about this little scenario, you're meeting with a client and all of a sudden another client is ringing through on your celly, ahhhhh what to do! If I ignore the call the client I'm with will think that I ignore calls from clients, if I answer it, I'm just that dick that answers his phone in the middle of conversations. You can't win and thats the way THEY want it. Insidious I tell you.

6 comments:

appojax said...

funny. the other day i accidentally dialed my old cell phone number. you know the type of shit, you try to ring your girlfriend and accidentally dial your mom and dad bla bla bla.
but a woman answered. by this time i realized that i had dialed me old celly telly...i paused a bit, awkward, but hate hanging up on folks, even strangers. fuckin rude right?

"uh, i think i have the wrong number.."
"um are you looking for A.J.?"

i paused again, and thought to myself how surreal this was. then i spilt them beans.

"actually i AM a.j."
"yeah well you've been getting a ton of calls."
"yeah, this is my old number."
"yeah i figured that one."
"okay bye."
(laughing) "bye."

moral of the story? i'm an ass.

Lauri said...

That's funny! I can't remember who told me this story but someone had called a wrong number looking for me and here's how it went:
"hi is Lauri there?" "no!" said the man "oh do you know when she'll be in?" "no! she left me for another man, she's not coming back!" click. i'm pretty sure this happened, i don't think i dreamed it. Pete am i right??

Lynlee said...

ALthough this is in regards to my house phone, it is also cool...I had a friend from elementary school mis-dial what he thought was my house #, and left a message for me, but it turned out that he somehow called ron , and left the message on his answering machine for me. Crazy, huh?

appojax said...

so was he friends with ron too.

but has this ever happened to you where you dial someone, and turns out they were simultaneously dialing you, too. there's no ringing, only instant connection. i think it only happend to me twice.

Lynlee said...

Oh, I didn't mention, he doesn't know ron, it was purely a quinkie dink

Jeff said...

Pete may complain about cell phones, but he loves text messaging. We had a 20 minute conversation using only text messages talking about who the best presidents were.