Saturday, July 09, 2011

Upon Re-Watching TRON: Legacy

I was thinking about how much The Matrix must have been influenced by the original TRON and how much TRON: Legacy takes from The Matrix. I recently re-watched TRON: Legacy on DVD and found it to be not the hot mess that I remembered from the theater. I might have been projecting my frustration about having to wear sunglasses during a movie that takes place almost completely in the dark on to the content of the film. I have to say that even on just plain old DVD the movie looks awesome, visually its a pretty unique experience. I can't say anything about the soundtrack except that its amazing and perfect for the movie.
I remember thinking that Jeff Bridges performance in particular was completely muddled and inconsistent, but I didn't find it to be the case this time around. It's not his best work, but it's TRON so just be glad he came back for the sequel.

Don't get me wrong, its far from a perfect movie, there are a lot of "huh?" moments in there. I think that primarily because there are about 3 movies going on at the same time. I know that a TRON sequel has been in development for about 10 years. (My TRON DVD has a teaser for something called TRON: Killer App.) I think what probably happened was that the script in its current form is an amalgam of about 3 or 4 different scripts.

I will say that my biggest frustration with the new TRON is that the story of the character Tron is missing. He has transformed into something called The Rinzler and has a last minute realization/ redemption but then dies, seemingly. I would have liked to see the backstory on that.

No comments: