Monday, November 17, 2008

The Funk: A revived Draft Post

We DeClerks are famous (or infamous if you please) for our moodiness. The reaction I sometimes get when my mood turns toward the melancholic is sometimes surprising to me. It seem to me the world at large expects that we should project happiness and joy all the time when we are in public or among friends. How are people supposed to know when to leave you the fuck alone if you act all happy slappy all the time?
At work, Lauri always tells me, "People can tell you're in a bad mood today..." Good! then they are correctly perceiving my facial features, tone of voice and body language. The thing I don't understand is that they persist in wanting to fuck around with me. "what's wrong?" they say. "i'm sick of people like you..." I think to myself.
What never occurs to these people is that them continuing to talk to me only leads me to have to be more hostile towards them to make them go away. If they would only think to themselves, "if Pete is in a bad mood perhaps I would be better served in leaving him be today and perhaps he will work through his frustrations and be in a better mood tomorrow." The world would be a much friendlier place.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one I hate is.... "Are you okay?" I'm usually "okay" until I'm asked that question.

Pete said...

exactly

Jeff said...

yeah, I fucking hate that when people...you know...care about my well-being. Assholes.

Pete said...

The point is that you should feel obligated to be well all the time. A man should be allowed to stew from time to time.

Jeff said...

I have those days. My students ask if I'm in a bad mood, I say yes, and they know not to fuck with me. I'm the alpha male in my realm. Maybe you need to assert your dominance more. Kill one person at work for no reason or just piss on them.

Kujo said...

if you don't want people to notice you're in a foul mood, don't project such a foul mood

Pete said...

Suddenly this is an advice column? I want people to know I'm in a shitty mood. Then I want them to realize that it is probably thier fault.