Saturday, May 10, 2008

Complaints

GTA IV sucks. There I said it. I'm extremely disappointed with this game when compared to GTA San Andreas. Everything that was great about San Andreas is lacking in this game. In fact, all this is, is a better looking version of GTA III. Here are a list of areas where GTA IV falls way short.

Controls- The fighting, shooting, driving, controls are terrible. Every car on the game handles like a boat and can't turn a corner to save its life. Yet the city streets are all at right angles. Nico moves to slow and the lock on for both fighting and shooting are terrible. I waste half my ammo shooting at walls because the retical won't shift from one target to another.

Cops- Cops are everywhere in this game, in every scene and on every corner. Not only are they everywhere, but they are they even when they are not there. simply firing your weapon, even if you don't see any police will get you into a police chase. In previous versions, if the cops weren't around, you could get away with a lot and make some money in the process. In this game, if you stray from your missions, you might as well just resolve yourself to an endless police chase.

Leveling up - In San Andreas you could level up your fighting shooting and driving skills. The result was that gameplay became smoother and more fun. There was a reason to use all the weapons and all different types of vehicles. They took that out.

You're too busy- Anytime you try to simply explore in this game people are calling you on your cell demanding to do mundane activities, like go eat or play poorly conceived mini-games of pool or bowling.

The Landscape- Even in GTA III and especially in San Andreas there were several different landscapes, you could find your way around with landmarks. In GTA IV everything looks the same and its dark more than it is light so forget landmarks. You are forced to use the games GPS system, the result of which is that you are looking at the mini map more so that the actual game.

Tolls - there are actually freakin tool booths in the game that you are expected to wait in line for. If you bust through the gate? Yep, the cops chase you. Is this somebody's bad idea of drawing out gameplay time?

Weapons- I have about 6 hours of gameplay in and I am still stuck with the pistol. I can get shot guns by stealing police cars, but that usually ends with me in the hospital, or worse being arrested and getting all the weapons taken away. I can buy submachine gun ammo, but none of the missions really pay off so I would just go broke.

Alright there I vented. now I have to get back to playing.

6 comments:

Alex said...

I agree. I hope it gets better but as of right now I don't think it deserves any of the high ratings it got. I can't even understand half of what they say.

Jeff said...

You know what is not disappointing? Books, hanging out with people, going outside, not playing video games.

Going to Galaxy games, however, has turned out to be very disappointing.

Pete said...

What a refined and elevated and video game free life you lead. Someday, when we are all grown up, we'll learn the folly of our low brow lifestyle

Jeff said...

I would respond, but I am watching replays of all of today's English soccer games.

Kujo said...

do you have the ps3 version? i heard it's faster

i also heard the multi player mode is the shit

Pete said...

I have xbox 360, but its not the processing speed that is the problem, its the game mechanincs.