Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Input Overload

I'm beginning to realize that besides food and beer, one of my greatest vices has become sensory input. More specifically, listening to podcasts, going on the internet and watching TV. When you are alone all day and tired of listening to your inner monologue, you need something to keep your brain busy. But I think in these times of instant access to everything, we can definitely over do it. A good example is when I'm watching something on TV and then pick up the laptop to see what other movies or shows some actor has been in. Now, not only am I taking in input from two sources, but my braining is thinking about a third source. If I'm walking the dog or doing the dishes, I've always got a podcast going on the ipod. From time to time I've been having trouble sleeping. This is nothing new for me, but I find that the voices and scenarios from TV and podcasts are creeping into my psyche on the edge of sleep and my brain won't shut down. I know its important to exercise the brain, but I'm learning that its equally important to let it rest. I came to this clarity of thought on a 6 mile hike, during which I didn't break out my ipod, I just let my brain wander where it would. I can tell you that having not had more than 2 hours sleep last night, there was a huge data dump going on, like a waking dream. I feel a little clearer now and hopefully, I'll sleep tonight.
Ask yourself when the last time you sat quietly alone with your thoughts.

1 comment:

sheila said...

I rarely listen to the car radio on my way home from work. That's probably the only time I'm alone with my thoughts.