Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bitching about movies

I really like movies, but the time between finding movies that I REALLY like is growing longer all the time. I watched 5 movies today. I fast forward through 3 and gave up on two. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, but my patience for mediocre movies is really wearing thin.
The first movie was Eagle Eye, it was also the biggest piece of shit of the day. It just plain sucked for too many reasons for me to even want to start listing them. Mostly though, the technological leaps which the audience was asked to take was just too fantastical to be set in the modern times. It would have worked better as a sci-fi movie set in the near future.
The next movie was called The Conversation, its a 70's movie with Gene Hackman and Harrison ford (among others) directed by Francis Ford Coppola. This movie is a throw away. It would have been good as an hour long short film. It supposed to be, I assume, a character study but none of the characters were that engaging. A lot of it was Gene Hackman by himself, so it was easy to just fast forward to the part where there was dialogue. The only interesting thing about this movie is how much it looks like the Royal Tennenbaums. I wonder if that was on purpose.
Next up, an indie movie called Humbolt County. Souless med student meets girl, goes with her to Humbolt, smokes some weed, finds himself. I still haven't finished it. I'm an hour and half in and I feel like I've been watching for 4 hours. Brad Douriff gives a good performance as an old weed smoking gradfather. No other redeeming qualities here. I think I'm just going to abandon it at this point.
Catch me if you Can was on TNT today. Thats a fun movie, not much below the surface, but entertaining enough.
Clockwork Orange. Where does Kubrick get off? I'll never understand why he is so revered. In my mind he has made two good movies, Dr. Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket. The rest is just pretentious crap and I include The Shining in that.
You know what I miss in action thrillers besides engaging characters, the F word. Because movies are made for teenagers now, I can't even her a Fuck or Motherfucker anywhere. so boring.

No comments: