Saturday, June 03, 2006

I Shocked Myself

I don't mean that I shocked myself, like a surprised myself somehow, no, I electrocuted myself. Not on purpose, but not so much of an accident that I couldn't have avoided it, by not acting like an idiot. This actually happened awhile ago so if your heard this story...just go fuck off and read somebody else's post.
So anyway a couple of weeks ago we had this show called the International Gift and Jewelery show; which is a fancy name for a small swap meet where you can buy pirated music CD's, fake jewelry, crappy DVD players and camcorders with menus in Chinese, and of course, various illegal items of mischief like Ninja Stars, Daggers, Tasers, and yes cattle prods. Now my co-worker Martin, being of sound mind but having no girlfriend to look at him disapprovingly, decided he couldn't live without the $20 cattle prod. What were his intentions for this cattle prod? I felt the less I know about that the better. So he bought and left it in the office until the end of his shift. Like any good big boy with a toy he encouraged me to give it a try. You know, not shock anybody, just get spark going. So, by myself thank god, I gave that sucker a charge and pressed down on the trigger. I was rewarded with a nice arcing blue spark from the electrodes at the tip. "Cool" I thought, "but thats enough for me" So I then I notice a little warning label on the side that says after you use it, you should touh it to something metal to get rid of any remaining charge. So my cubicle has a metal frame so I thouch it to the metal and nothing happened "no charge left" I thought. Then, as I'm putting this thing back in the Canvas case it came with, one hand at the bottom of the case to steady it...BAM! a nice big electric shock right through the case. That son of a bitch HURT! If you were a cattle it would defintely get you going in the right direction. Of course, like 5 seconds after it happened the security officer walked into the office as I'm cradling my wounded hand. "What happened?" he asked knowingly, "Nothing!" I replied. Thankfully he let it go at that.
The Lesson learned here:
Theres a reason its illegal to sell those things to Joe Schmoe off the street. On a side note, I often wonder how often Martin has "accidently" shocked himself using that thing. I never did warn him about it.

2 comments:

Kujo said...

i really want to know why he wanted a cattle prod in the first place.

Lauri said...

LOL i love that story. He wanted me to play with it too. Glad i didn't, i may have cried if it shocked me.