Sunday, February 26, 2006

I am not an USHER!!!

This isn't bragging. And for those of you who are already aware of what I do, I apologize...Maybe I should back up. At Sheila's going away dinner at an old family friend's house. The old family friend, knowing I had just come from work, said, "I hope you made some good tips tonight?" At first I thought she had mistaken me for one of my brothers, but then it occured to me...she's thinks I'm still an usher. How many of you still think that? The fact is, I haven't been an Usher since I was 17. So here's a rundown of my history with the convention center. Just for clarification. I understand it can be confusing when one person works at a place for so long, how job descriptions can change with promotion. Anyway here goes.
At 16 I got a job as an usher in the Auditorium.
At 17 I was promoted to Senior Head Usher. (hiring/ training of Usher staff and management of staff during events.)
At 20 I was promoted and transferred to whats now called Events Management. My title was Events Coordinator. Under the direction of whats now known as the Director of Events Management and Services I coordinated facility services for the various Events that booked in the Convention Center. I quickly became the main Event Coordinator for the facility's major events. Some events I worked during that time included The Prime time Emmy's Governor's Ball, The Department of the Army's Materiel Command weapon's contractors tradeshow. The society of motion pictures and televsion engineer's Tradeshow and many other facility wide (30,000 sq. foot exhibit hall, 20 meeting rooms, 3000 seat auditorium) events. But what does it mean to "coordinate facility services" the company's sort of vague definition at that time was that we were considered the facility "manager on duty" in reality it involved running a 20 man event services set up crew to ensure all sets met with client expectations. Making sure that all contractors (riggers, decorators, electricians and so on.) were compliant with company policy, fire department regulations, and contractual obligations. Meeting with all department heads (security, catering, engineering, parking) to make sure that client expectations are met, safety standards are being upheld and all event attendees are recieving appropriate levels of customer service. Acting as the sole contact between the facility and the client( show promoter, show manager, show producer). Collecting all charges incurred by client in relation to facility services. (tables chairs, audio visual, labor etc.) In those days we also set all the Audio Visual required by events.
At 22 I did a six month stint as the interim House Manager ( a full time job offered to me which I turned down) which included all of the above, only usually exclusive to the Auditorium. In addition I was expected to hire, train, and if necessary promote or fire the usher staff. During this period I was the event coordinator for The People's Choice awards, the NAACP Image Awards, The Tony Robbins Experience, the Nutcracker, and the Pasadena Symphony.
Shortly after that the company re-organized somewhat and I was offered the position of Event Manager, it was largley the same position except there would have been much more advance work for events so it was a full time position. I refused the position and shortly thereafter left the company after they refused to work around school schedules. Less than a year later I was contacted by the Executive Director who told me it was a mistake to let me leave, asked me to come back as part time employee doing the same job I had done before under the title Event Supervisor. Granted I've been treading water as an Event Supervisor for some time, and over time as more efficient system of management was implemented and more services were outsourced the duties became less intensive. The same amount of responsibility just more money and less legwork. During my time as an event supervisor I coached three seasons of high school swimming and worked as a House Manager for an amphitheatre in hollywood. (one of the more challenging but also well paying jobs I've had in Events Management) The job has given me the flexibility to try new things and finish school.
At this point, my working title is Event Manager. I do everything I did as an Event Coordinator and Supervisor, plus all the advance work on events that are assigned to me. Once booking contracts are signed, the show and everything that goes with it becomes "mine" until load out is completed and final billing, which I compile, is completed. I wear a suit to work, I have a cubicle, an extension, an email address, business cards, the whole nine yards. I make my own hours. I even have an assistant that will answer my calls when I'm not there. (Sure she probably makes more than me at this point but what the hell.) A year ago when my boss died, there was a bit of stir in the office when I was asked to take over his events in front of more experienced Event Managers.
I'm not an Usher. That doesn't mean I won't go into the Auditorium and scan some tickets or show someone to thier seats when it gets hectic, but I'm not an Usher and haven't been for over 10 years. I'm part of a service industry that few people know about until they are on the inside of it, but it is a huge industry and I play a key role, a role at which I am VERY good.
Again, this was not to brag, after all this job doesn't pay particularly well, largely because of the size of the facility and the fact that we are technically non-profit (they go back to the city) and the job has greatly delayed my colloge graduation BUT, I just wanted to clarify for those who think I wear a teal jacket and stand at an aisle door.
Thanks for listening.

5 comments:

Lauri said...

Yeah Pete's the MAN over there! Oh and just for the record, i don't sport the bow tie anymore either. I too wear a suit. :)

Jeff said...

I've been telling people that you are the head janitor.

Lynlee said...

Wait... are you really supposed to tip ushers?

Amanda Jane said...

Don't worry Pete, I've been referring to you as an event manager(or I might have said coordinator) for years now. Anytime anyone mentions the Civic I always pipe up and say that my friend is the event manager there. And I must say that I have an incredible amount of respect for your job. I've told you before about trying to help coordinate a very tame highschool prom and I nearly died, so i greatly admire your skills.

Jeff said...

Actually I tell them that you are Usher, thus making the ladies swoon.