Thursday, December 13, 2007

I'm going to hell...and you're invited!

So I'm leaving Rite Aid tonight (after picking up cold medicine for my eternally-sick wife) and realize that there is one of those people waiting outside for me to ask me to donate to his cause. Now, before you give me shit about this, please realize that most of these people are complete frauds. They tell you about some BS homeless shelter program and show you an old photocopy of who-knows-what that's supposed to be a permit to collect money. I'm sure that many of you have dropped some change or even a couple bucks into this guys box/bucket, bag, etc.

Well, not me. I give plenty to charities over the year - LEGIT charities. So here's my solution, which I know has reserved me a nice warm seat in hell. Now, even the scummiest ripoff artist won't do one thing - interrupt a phone call. So as I leave RiteAid I get out my cell phone and put it to my ear and talk about whatever. "Yeah, I'm just leaving the store right now and I'll be home in a little while..." Just long enough to get by the pseudo-legit beggar. I figure this way he doesn't have to lie to me with his bullshit "help us out during the holidays" lie and I don't have to lie to him with the "I don't have any cash - sorry." It works like a charm.

3 comments:

Lynlee said...

Jeff, there is nothing wrong with your behavior. The only thing is when your pretending to be on the phone and it rings, that just looks bad.

Jeff said...

Man...I didn't think about that. Well, next time (and there will certainly be a next time) I will dial my voice mail before walking out.

Pete said...

The next time some beggar's got you cornered, you look him crooked in the eye, "have you paid your dues Jeff?"
"Yes sir, the check is in the mail."