Tuesday, September 04, 2007

No Sense of Direction

I have a terrible sense of direction. I always have. The only way I can get around in Pasadena is to remember that the mountains are north. This came in to play just last night when I tried to get home from San Clemente. For some reason, I always find the 57 freeway to be an elusive little freeway, I always seem to miss it, one way or another. So there I am driving on the 57 north, in the carpool lane when without warning it dumps me on to the 60 it happened so fast, I didn't even see which direction of the 60 I was dumped onto. I, however was confident that I was going west. It felt west, I felt like even though I didn't know the area so we'll that I would be able to recognize the streets as we headed in a westerly direction. Lauri suggested we might be headed east, "I think I saw a sign saying 60 East." "Negative" I replied confidently, its like Led Zeppelin said, "There a feeling I get when I look to the west." That feeling was slowly fading as I began to see street names going by in the wrong order. But as I was not familiar with the area I felt I might have had a muddled memory as to which streets go where. Then I saw a sign indicating the next 7 exits for Ontario. I looked at Lauri, "we're not going east..." much less confidence this time. "OK..." almost no confidence from Lauri. "GOD DAMMIT!" finally admitting to myself that I had just driven a half hour in the wrong direction. After a few twists and turns I found my way back to the 57 North, and eventually back home. I once found my way home from San Clemente by way of Down town LA. Maybe its my subconscious telling me I shouldn't be going anywhere except TO San Clemente.

3 comments:

Lauri said...

There is nothing worse than not being able to see the mountains. I'm amazed at myself sometimes for being able to drive in Texas when i visit.

Anonymous said...

Funny story. That same thing happened to Leo and I coming home from San Clemente last night also. We were almost at the 15 freeway when we noticed. Damn 57!

Jeff said...

I don't know how y'all get to San Clemente, but the 710 to the 5 never fails me.

You, my friend, got a taste of the 909 - where east is west, up is down, and black is, well, let's not talk about the color black and the 909.