Thursday, November 01, 2007

Plight of a Substitute

So I have been subbing for my Aunt since Tuesday. That's right it seems here in Cordova anybody can be a sub. The classes are small and no trouble plus she pays well. I am not really what you would call a substitute teacher though. I would refer to it more as a glorified babysitter.
The point I am trying to emphasize here is that I have nothing to teach because the lesson plans she leaves all instruct the student what to do and really allow me no free reign over what they should do or will do. It is a digital photography class by the way, I also teach a nursing class later in the day. She also gives passes to these kids in Digital whenever they ask for it so they can take pictures. It is rainy, cold and windy as a mofo outside right now and the only reason I am blogging now is because nobody is in the class. That's right people not a single student is now in the classroom. They all have a pass to go take "pictures." Yeah right. Anyway I feel like I am being taken advantage of a bit. But I can't deny the kid a pass. I am just the substitute. I have to abide by the actual teacher rules, don't I? If she gives out passes willy nilly I have to as well. Whatever all the kids here are rejects anyway. It is so sad. I feel somewhat bad for them because they have no idea what the real world is like and probably won't like it even if they escape Cordova. I also feel bad for them cause there is nothing for them to do. I see them aimlessly wandering around the front of the library, down First street. No wonder half of them are on drugs what else is there to do.

4 comments:

Pete said...

What the fuck do you know about nursing? Is this High School? College or some kind of Trade School?

Randy said...

Hey are you trying to put me down?
It's a College but a HS course.
I told you all I have to do is tell them what chapter to read and to give me the review test when they are done.

Jeff said...

Kids always take advantage of subs. Well, not my students, but most others. College class? Let the little shits wander around - you aren't responsible for them if its a college class. If you joke with them about how you are sure that they are wandering around and not actually taking pictures then you can keep a sense of authority without going against the teacher. Works for me when I cover for the ass-clowns I work with that don't leave lessons.

Anonymous said...

Randy, are you going to turn into a drug addict too? I hope not.