Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Some new music choices and stuff...

Well, its 1:45 in the A.M. and I have to be up at 6. I have taken a tylenol PM and I can't even concieve of sleep right now. This is the curse of insomnia. Chances are I will fall asleep at 5am, making a 6am wake up after an hour sleep all the more bitter. So what is there to talk about? Why can't I sleep? I don't know, but I know I have three bouts of insomnia in the last four days. I haven't had a drink in two weeks. Saturday was the hardest day. There was nothing to do and I could have started drinking at noon and been nicely toasted all day, of course I was thankful for the absence of headaches and beer shits on Sunday.
I have a new favorite song that I'm listening to right now, its called Shelter From the Storm and its by Bob Dylan. I'm always finding new Bob Dylan that I like. I have to admit my music taste lately is skewing way towards the college radio stuff. Lots of Iron and Wine, Flaming Lips and Death Cab for Cutie. Is this my nearing thirties, everything is too loud phase, or is it just pretentious hipster music to go with my new beard and brown corduroy jacket? I'll let you be the judge. I will say this though, If you haven't heard Iron and Wine's Love Vigilante's you should give it a listen. That dude can sing circles around Jack Johnson and thier lyrics are "very dense, very interesting" (Squid and the Whale...anyone, anyone? moving on.) Enough about me whats going on in your life? I know I've been sabre rattling about cutting folks from the blog, but I'm all talk. You can all stay as long as you want, post when you can, or not at all its all good.
Also, check out a song by the Beta Band called Dry the Rain. It's the song in High Fidelity when John Cusack says "i will now sell 5 copies of the Beta Band EP" he only plays the last part of a five minute song, but the whole song is good if you give it a chance. I'm not sure what I would do without itunes. I don't even know what they are playing on the radio these days. I know Raggeaton came and went, without my ever caring.
So here's an interesting anecdote: I was in Hollywood video looking for Movies to rent. They were playing some Bob Marley DVD on the TV's (Randy will tell you this is against store policy, only G rated movies are allowed.) I was struck by how heavy Bob Marley's patois was. I guess I've never heard him interviewed before. They were playing "Stir it Up" really loud in the store and it sounded really good. There was nothing to rent so I left. It was sunny out and I could still here Stir it Up on my wat through the parking lot. I thought it would be a perfect day to Bar B Q and listen to Bob Marley in the sun. I thought that would be perfect. But then I realized that that moment was perfect. The sun felt good and the music sounded good. Nothing I could have planned would have felt as fitting as that did. It got me thinking about how many times we try to manufacture moments. We think "Today is the perfect day for a Barbaque" and we try to get everyone together and go shopping and get everthing together and in the end , it just feels like a lot of work. Or you think, this would be the perfect night to have a beer and talk, so you go to the Crown, but when you get there, you can't think of anything to say and you just get bored. I realized that every moment where you get that feeling that everything fits is an unplanned spontaneous moment. The best times I've had at the crown are just when you go becasue you have nothing to do and it just so happens that everyone you know is there and you end up having these really fun unplanned converstations. I don't know what I'm getting at except that when you have those moments when things just feel right, you don't have to be doing something special or monumental, just enjoy them as they come. Well its now 2:15 and I'm gonna give sleep another try.

4 comments:

Kujo said...

You’ve got to seize the day and the moment that can make each day. It sounds cheesy, but it’s true. And, I find talk radio at a low volume helps me go to sleep.

appojax said...

You said it, Pete. You can't plan them but it's nice to share them with others. Mine was the other day, I felt reminded of the offshore breeze of Lake Michigan on a warm sunney day.

I leave the lights on. It doesn't help the sleep process, I'm just too laxy to turn them off.

Randy said...

Poignant stuff Pete. Poignant stuff

appojax said...

oh yea if you are getting into bob dylan u should hear all of nashville skyline. a very trashed and drugged collab bt bob and johnny cash.