Monday, March 07, 2005

Death Valley Excursion

I wanted to go to death valley on Sunday. They say the wildflowers are blooming because the place just got more rain than it has in years. My plan was to get on the road at 5am, get there by 10am hike trail or two and then head home. Lauri objected (Hi babe) to the getting up at 5am and drivng five hours to go hiking on her only day off this week. The widflowers swayed her not at all. Instead we woke up at about 10am (I couldn't help thinking that it was wierd that I could have been hiking in death valley by that time.) I got up to make coffee, Lauri fell back asleep. For the next two hours I drank coffee and played GTA SA. At about 12:30 we left the apt for errands and lunch. I decided on Chili's for chicken crispers with corn on the cob and fries. During the course of lunch I came up with the plan that we should go to Trader Joes and get some of their awesome guac and go to my house and lay in the sun and eat guac and drink beers. It was agreed upon. I made her pinky swear as these plans can so often go astray. So we did that for a while. Lauri fell asleep and I drank her beer. I was starting to lay down a nice buzz. Well, the sun went down behind the house and it started to get cold so we decided to go in the spa. It was a bit green and seemed too hot or something so we didn't stay in very long. We decided to walk to Lauri's apt. with our chips and guacamole and half a bottle of Ketel One from our vegas trip. It would be risky because Sierra Madre is still under Imperial control (note: Star Wars Reference) and if the Storm Troopers caught us with an open alcohol container we'd be in Jail for sure. We smuggled our illicit package in the Trader Joe's bag so not to attract attention. Tim's house is on the way to Lauri's and we thought what better place to mix a couple of bloody mary's than Tim's house. Tim's house is like a self serve bar if you will. They always have beer on tap, pint glasses most mixers available, tons of well liquor and the doors are never locked. So even if no one is home you can enjoy a cold beer and sit in the back yard. Tim, as it turns out, was home recovering from a nasty hangover. It was about 4pm by this time so you know it had to be bad if he was still lain low. They were missing bloody mary mix so I offered to go to the liquor store and get some Gatorade for Tim (electrolyte replacement) and some bloody mary mix for ourselves. My beer buzz was solid but not overwhelming by this point and I decided that using my legs to get to the liquor store was pure insanity, no it would have to be one of the long Skateboards that reside right outside the door of Tim's house. Lauri objected immeadiately, having abandoned two beers now she was being crushed under the heavy weight of logic. How would she get there? She'd be left behind. Don't worry, I had a plan. This skateboard was big enough for two of us. Im not sure if I've ever attempted the tandom skateboard yet and Lauri certainly had her doubts, but it was such a nice day for it and such a nice state of mind for it. It took me about fifty yards to get the balance down and putting Lauri up front absorb the fall if there was one was a stroke of genius (Just kiddin babe). Once we got it down though, what a ride! I know Lauri enjoyed it too despite her constant plea of "please stop I want off". Needless to say cooler heads prevaled and by my masterful skateboarding skills we made it to the Liquor store unscathed even weaving at several points to avoid Sierra Madre dog walkers. $5 later we were in possesion of one Gatorade and one dusty bottle of brown bloody mary mix. We had to walk back to Tim's the way was sightly up hill. Once back we watched AnchorMan and drank bloody mary's. I ended up making them too spicy, but then accidently spilled mine on Tim's rug and had to make a new one. After that we walked back to Lauri's. A fine buzz would remain for the rest of the evening. We watched TV I played GTA. I fine day all around. This is too long to proofread right now so I apologize for spelling and grammar errors.

1 comment:

Lauri said...

Very good play by play Pete! I ejoyed reading about my day. :)