Sunday, March 20, 2005

A Lament for Arrow 93.1

This morning Lauri and I were driving and she said all so nonchalantly that arrow 93.1 no longer existed. In my disbelief I quickly turned the dial to find them playing Madonna's Lucky Star...I nearly jumped out the window. It turns out that the station is now called K-Jack and its home to the crappiest music in the world; later that day Lauri heard them playing Right Said Fred's I'm too sexy. I had just read an article in Rolling Stone that a lot of Rock stations were being cancelled due to poor listenership but i never thought it would happen in LA. Yet there it is, classic Rock is now unavailable on the radio in LA. Those of you living in LA are trying to calm yourselves by reminding yourself that you still have KLOS 95.5, but I ask you to remember that that station has already started calling Pearl Jam "classic rock" they are playing Achtung Baby side by side with Led Zepplin. No offense to U2 but you're just not there yet. I wish to say this...It's one thing when a radio station dies, its quite another when an entire format dies. Actually, I don't know what to say I'm still in shock.
I do want to make this statement though, the music that was played on 93.1 was from an era we refer to homogenously as "the 60's" though it spanned into the early 70's and the theme of a lot of the music from that era is rebellion and anger. It was the era of vietnam, it was the era of the Watts Riots, it was the era of the civil rights movement, a lot of that era's anger is reflected in the music that came out of it. Now that music is gone. We are involved in another protracted conflict moral justification is cloudy at best, we are a country divided by our political views and we have no music to reflect the anger that some of us are feeling. We have no check and balance to this new conservative movement that is sweeping the country. Today's music is safe, politically, its turned a blind eye to political conflict because to market music it can't piss off anyone. If you were to piss someone off they might not buy your album. Anyway, I'm digressing. Let me just say that as the voice of the "60's" becomes ever more relevant again everday it is simultaneously being silenced all over the country and being replaced by Kelly Clarkson and fifty cent.
Arrow 93.1
En Pace Requiescat

2 comments:

Alex said...

But PETE You both like Kelly Clarkson and 50 cent.

Pete said...

WOW Alex speaks! Good to hear from you bud. Well, my point is not that it's bad music in and of itself but its all pretty superficial when you think about singers like Bob Dylan who sang about themes relevant to turbulent times. I'm just worried that as thier message once again becomes relevant, that we're losing that message to sugercoated popish music.