Thursday, March 17, 2005

Work Clothes

So I was thinking today as I was getting ready for work how different I dress in my real life compared to my work life. In real life I wear torn jeans, flip flops if its over 70 degrees, and a tee shirt. In my work life I wear slacks, a long sleeved collared shirt, a tie and dress shoes. Every time I put that shit on I don't feel like myself. I feel like I'm playing a role of a good customer service oriented employee. Maybe thats part of the whole theory behind dressing up for work. Or maybe I'm just doing the wrong kind of work. Thoreau said something like "beware any enterprise that involves a change of clothes and not a change of the wearer." Im not entirely sure what he meant by that, but I think he meant that If you cant be yourself at a job, then the job's not for you. I begin to wonder what my colleagues wear when they are not at work, and do they wonder what I wear when Im not at work. Do they think I dress like this all the time? God that would be a nightmare. Can you really know someone without knowing how they dress? Flip flops and jeans are an important part of who I am, like it or not its how I define my personality. I don't know...

No comments: