Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Ramble On...

I was just thinking about going to bed, or at least lying in bed, maybe listen to some music. I was just watching that Bob Dylan documentry by Martin Scorcese on PBS. I found three new Dylan Songs to Download so that was pretty sweet. Anyway, I just felt like writing first. This promises to be one of those stream of consciousness type posts so watch out. So old Vanessa asked about me does she? She was good people. It was because of her that I made a sort of strange life decision. See we used to hang out on a fairly regular basis at one point. Eventually, it became less so. No other reason than that we were both busy, she lived out at UCLA, I lived in Pasadena. Then it became phone calls every few months: "Hey how you doing? good good. Whats new. Nothing much. We should get together some time. totally. I'll be at this particular place at this particular time next saturday, you should come around. Yeah I'll see if I can make it."
Attempts were made. Attempts failed. Finally, I thought: enough. Things happen , people grow apart. The friendship is no longer viable. Let it die. So I did. I let alot of old aquaintances fall by the wayside. I felt guilty for a while, but I also felt like the energy I had been putting into them would be better spent on cultivating closer freindships with a smaller group of people.
Maybe this is all a part of growing up and people don't really think about it. But it was something I did consciously.
Right now, I'm listening to the Dylan original of All along the Watchtower. I first heard that song on the U2 album Rattle and Hum. I found out there was another version of the song when I read the graphic novel called the Watchmen. In it a quote from the song is attributed to Jimi Hendrix. For a long time the Hendrix version was definitive for me. Until one day I was perusing the CD booklet of my Hendrix CD and noticed that the writing credits for the song were attributed to Bob Dylan. This was before the days of Napster where you could download anysong you were curious about. And since I was really into Dylan then I let it go. After an intensive Hendrix phase, I kind of forgot about the song. I never actually heard the Dylan version until I started using iTunes. I thought I wouldn't like it because I liked the Hendrix version so much. But once I heard it... I can't even listen to the Hendrix version anymore. The Dylan version is DEFINITIVE. I'm actaully stunned that so many have had the audacity to cover it.
I have the whole day off tommorow. Its weird, I went from having way to much time on my hands this summer to a 6-7 day routine of school and work. Feast or Famine. Anyway, I think if it doesn't rain, I'm gonna go for a nice long walk. Maybe not a hike, just a walkabout.
Thats all for now.

2 comments:

Pete said...

My new profile contains a photo. Its Tolkien (If Jeff can be WJ Bryan, I can be Tolkien, so there). So don't wonder who the old english dude is posting on your blog.

Lauri said...

i want a picture too! But i don't know how.