Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A day without a television

Are you ready for a magical journey of the heart and soul? Thats great. Better go somewhere else because I'm just gonna talk about my usual shit. The fact is I wouldn't even be wrting this if there were something decent on TV. Right now on the Starz action channel is a movie called In the Year 2889. It seems to be a really bad zombie movie of some kind. I caught a scene where they were giving some guy recovering from an injury some food and he said "i don't want that, bring me some raw meat." The problem with direct TV is that all the cable channels are on eastern time. So If I'm trying to watch TV at midnight, I'm watching stuff thats intended to be seen at 3am.
I made a pact with myself not to watch any TV today. It didn't really work out but I did better than alot of days. I woke up, made some coffee. I had to clean the coffee maker because my mom lets it get disgustingly dirty. I solved the daily Sudoku puzzle to get the old synapses firing and then I checked the blogs...for about an hour. I'm obsessed. Then I decided I should go for a hike. I suited up and hit the trail. Here's the problem. And I'm venturing to a level of honesty thats really going to sully my reputation and I know Lauri is going to be shaking her head, but hey anything to keep this interesting. So here's the problem. I wear boxer briefs most of the time. I'm not the thinnest dude around and I have a problem with the ol' inner thighs rubbin together so I find a nice pair of boxer briefs keeps me from getting what come to be known as "the rash". So when I suited up I decided not to change my underwear from the day before (there I said it) After all there just gonna get sweaty and then I'd have to put a new pair on again. The problem is that boxer briefs get stretched out ofter a day of use, and their no longer snug. So here's waht happened. I'm hiking, and these fuckers are bunchin up somethin fierce. I've got some privacy out on that trail so I'm able to make adjustments along the way. but goddamn if those things weren't riding up every 2 minutes. I felt like I was wearing a fucking diaper. Well I had my ipod on and I'm keeping a nice pace, but I can't get my mind off how uncomfortable I am with these underwear all up in my junk. So I had to turn around, I couldn't take it.
So I went home and dusted off the last of the turkey sandwiches. And I did watch CNN while I ate. Most of the rest of the day was spent reading. I'm re-reading Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I'm picking up a lot more this time around and find myself liking more this time around. At about 4pm i got antsy and decided to take a walk to make up for the aborted hike. I was gonna go out and come back, but i ended up taking a roundabout route to Lauri's where I played GTA San Andreas for about an hour until Lauri got home (Grove Street! What?)
We went to Claim Jumpers for dinner. We drove around Pasadena for a while, seeing the sites singing to the ipod. Did laundry. And that was about it.
I'm tryin to think about some other stuff to blather on about, but I really can't. Maybe I'll read for a while. Maybe i'll sit here and listen to more music. Right now The Who is playing Behind Blue Eyes. Favorite line from that song: "My dreams they aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be."
So i'm gonna do that thing again with the song lyrics, so feel free to tune out now.

Failure
Stuck on you
"Thought I'd drop you easily, but that was not to be. You'd burrowed like a summer tick. ...Turned my nights to sleepless itch."

So i wrote a complaint letter to Blockbuster, but they never got back to me so I'm never going back there again. I'm a Hollywood video guy now, they're bound to piss me off sooner or later too. And I can't do the independent video store thing. I'm gonna be screwed altogether. Bitter and alone with no movies to watch.

Greenday
Give me Novacaine
"Drain the pressure from the swelling, the sensation's overwhelming."
I know this is supposed to be metaphor but it reminds me of my root canal.

No Doubt
Simple Kind of Life
"Not only in love, I was obsessed."

You think that dude from No Doubt ever thinks "god I wish she would stop writing songs about me!" ? Even that song Cool from her solo album is about him and shes been married for like years now. Obsessed is right.

Jack White
Great High Mountain
"once I stood at the foot of a great high mountain that I wanted so much climb. And on top of this mountain is a beautiful fountain that flows with the waters of life."

The Proclaimers
Over and Done With
"This is story of watchin a man dyin, the subjects unpopular but I don't feel like lyin,"

This song is in BottleRocket when Dignan steals that car that breaks down. Its a good song to end a mixed CD with

Wyclef
Yele
This song is in French and I don't understand a word but the guitar is amazing.

Did I go too far in telling you about my underwear dilemma? I don't think so. according to the new sitemeter its just us friends that visit. I'm kind of pissed that I can't think of anything good to talk about. Alex was gonna call me tonight to see a movie called Kiss Kiss Bang Bang but he never called. He was probably working. Did you guys hear that he could have gone on an audition for, hang on...

Tim Eriksen
Am I born to Die?
"soon as from Earth I go, what shall become of me? Eternal Happiness or Woe, must then my portion be?"

Led Zeppelin
Battle for Evermore
"the dark lord rides in force tonight, and time will tell us all."

An obvious reference to LOTR, and not the only one in this song.

(cont.) A japanese beer commercial. He didn't say which one. His agent said if he got it he would have to go to Japan to shoot it. Just think, he could have met his own Scarlett Johanson and had some life changing experience. Anyway, he didn't take the audition. See, this is the fairly interesting things that happen to him, but that he never cares to share on the blog. He figures anyone who reads it, can just be told verbally. I figure I'm a better storyteller in written form so I blog. Each word is agonized over.

Elvis Presely
Blue Moon
"you saw me standing alone, without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own."

I started to like this song when I heard it in Joe vs. The Volcano.

Lynard Skynyrd
Tuesday's gone
"I don't know where I'm going, I just want to be left alone. When this train ends i'll try again"

I discovered this song in Dazed and Confused and frankly like it better than Freebird.

Guns n' Roses
Estranged
The interesting thing about this song is that there are lines cribbed from other songs. Lets see if we can spot them.
"with all the changing seasons of my life" this is from Landslide by Fleetwood Mac
"you don't talk so loud and you dont walk so proud" this is from Like a Rolling stone by Bob Dylan.

alright thats enough, thanks and goodnight. Or good day.

4 comments:

Owen said...

putting up favourite song lyrics? you may have started something there pete, i cant often think of anything to write about my life, but i've always got a song (or ten)in my head....

Amanda Jane said...

i thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. i'll take a mixed cd from you any day.

Lauri said...

um...you went to far with the undies part. lol

Jeff said...

I can vouch for Pete on the whole thing about the whole underwear thing. I think the boxer-brief not only provides support and inner-thigh protection, but also accountability since there are consequences when you don't change them.