Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Harry Potter Review

Alex Randy and I caught the new Harry Potter tonight. I only made it through half the book before other stuff caught my interest, but I can say that from what I did read, the movie is a very stripped down version of the book. Its very Peter Jacksonish, if you will. Most of the nuance and character development is thrown out and all of the action is kept. Despite this, whats left is a very watchable movie that looks great. Its the scariest of the Potter movies so far and Lord Voldemort scared the crap out of me, though I really don't understand how Harry defeated him this time and why no one seemed all that worried that he was back. I guess I should have finished the book. Head over to The Essays for some social commentary on King Kong.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I'm not sure how you could have put that book down. It was my favorite of the 4 1/2 that I have read. No 700 page book can be put completely into a movie. Especially the 4th in a series.

Pete said...

I agree they weren't gonna fit the whole book into the movie, and I agreed with a lot of the cuts they made. I was so happy to be rid of the Dursleys. And Goblet of Fire was my favorite book so far and I'll probably finish it at some point, but to be honest I get tired of her pacing sometimes. Its all: Harry goes to class, Snape is mean to him. Harry's not in class, Malfoy is mean to him. Hermione and Ron are fighting. Harry has a big problem but refuses to tell anyone who could help him about it. I don't know. I'm just a jaded old lit snob.

Jeff said...

Amanda and I saw it last night. Disappointed. I understand what you meant by stripped down.