Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Life Outside the Rat Race Essay Contest

Well, well, the gangs all here. I can see Lynlee is going to be a fine addition to our little society. There's just one thing, we have some invisibloggers don't we. Those whose names appear as contributors, but from whom we never hear? You know who you are. I offer up this chilling challenge to every single contibutor to this blog, new guys included. An essay. An anecdote if you will. A personal recollection. Whatever. Just make it funny and interesting, and no work stories unless its really funny. Lets say, oh about a page single spaced. The best essay, to be judged by an objective party will recieve the mysterious No-prize. Lets say one week from today, all entries due. I know what you're thinkin': "Pete, we don't all have copious free time like you do, I'm not writing a stupid essay!" Well, I say: "Nuts to you. We got into this business for one reason only...for my entertainment. So write for me Monkey boys... and girls, write like the wind! Just use that hour you spend everyday watching the scraping picking your toe nails and watching skinemax for something useful this time."

17 comments:

Owen said...

i shall throw my hat into the ring when the muse takes me. are works of fiction ok? the only interesting thing to happen to me latley was being in cali, and i think you've all heard enough about that.

Lauri said...

Is proper grammer and correct essay techniques required? I haven't written an essay/paper in years. I've forgotten what i was taught.

Pete said...

1. Works of fiction will do.
2. Style is more important than proper grammer in this case.

Lynlee said...

Do you alone Pete get to judge the essays, or will this be decided by say a panel?

Jeff said...

I think Amanda would be a good judge being an ex-English teacher. I would also volunteer my services as a noted author of many essays during my college days.

Pete said...

I will be submitting an essay as well and Amanda and Jeff will be the judges. Remember, we're looking for style and enjoyment value, not necessarily technical proficiency, but obviously a certain amount of knowledge of structural rules will be required.

Pete said...

Man! i just re-read the last sentence of this post. It's fucked up. I apparently had some trouble with word choice and forgot to delete the discarded words. I'm not winnin' this contest with that laziness.

Jeff said...

Speaking on behalf of the judges: please title your official submission: "My submission: __________" so we know that its not just some random post. You could still give it a real title. If you wanted to call your submission "Randy's mix CD has too much rap" you would put "My submission: Randy's mix CD has too much rap."
That is a true statement by the way. The Crown was like SouthCentral last night.

Lauri said...

LOL

Randy said...

Just representing A-town dawg!

Lynlee said...

A-town meaning?? Atlanta, Arcadia, because I don't know many rappers from Arcadia and your not from Atlanta.

Lauri said...

A question for the judges: Can we insert pictures in our essay??

Jeff said...

Pictures are allowed. I am making rulings without consulting the other judge, who was informed last night that she was volunteered to be a judge.

Lynlee said...

Is there a due date, and or a minimum or maximum word count?

Pete said...

No minimum or maximum, but a single paragraph ain't gonna cut it.

Amanda Jane said...

I can't wait to read these essays. I don't think I've ever been a judge of any sort of contest before. maybe the judges should publish a rubric...;-) like number of points for origniality, coherence, etc.

Jeff said...

Wednesday is coming quickly and there are still no entries.