Sunday, October 09, 2005

And the walls came tumbling down

MAN! So I'm closing out the Symphony last night and I hear on the Walkie "Engineering, We Just lost the back wall of the Orchestra shell and it broke a water main, its flooding pretty good back here." Immeadiately I ask if anyone was hurt. No one was. So I go into the the Auditorium and lo and behold, the back wall of the shell had crashed into the stage. Literally put a 4x4 hole through the stage, and punctured it in several other places. Water was filling the corridors below the stage. I'm not talking Titanic here but it was ankle deep in a matter of minutes. While I got on the phone to the higher ups, 11pm mind you, the engineer managed to find the shut off valve for the water line. When we went down below to inspect the damage, we found a huge wooden beam, the size of an oak tree had been splintered. The damage to the theater is MAJOR. The only thing we can be thankful for is that no one got hurt.

2 comments:

Amanda Jane said...

damn! that's crazy...Is this going to majorly impact future events for you guys? Did something cause the shell to fall down?

Pete said...

The shell fell, apparently due to a faulty winch. The gears slipped. I'm sure this will affect future events in the Civic Auditorium, for what period of time? I don't know yet. I do know that to replace the piece of wood that was destroyed someone is going to have to cut down a sequoia. That shit was huge.