Sunday, July 03, 2005

Beer by Beer

On Friday last Randy Alex and myself went on a beery adventure. Here is a beer by beer account of the night.

The First Beer
The first beer was a toss-up between a Redhook and a PBR. The first beer always determines what kind of night you're going to have. Redhook says hardcore drinking, you get drunk fast and keep going hard you are going to get fucked up. PBR says you wanna take it slow and keep a nice eve pace through the evening. You want to get drunk but you don't mind if it takes awhile. I choose PBR in a last minute decision.

The Second Beer
With the second beer, you have the option of changing your pace. Maybe that first beer didn't so waht you wanted it to do. Or maybe someone just kicked it up a notch and you need to keep pace. By my second beer I was doing just fine and had a nice order of Chicken Fingers and fries. My second beer was again a PBR.

The Third Beer
By your third beer you are pretty much locked in. By this time the bartender knows what you're drinking and will practically refill it without asking. This is what happened to me, I don't remember ordering a third PBR but lo and behold there one was.

Intermission
Here's the dilemma of the crown city brewery. If you've got your lots of your friends there it can be the best place in the world. But on a slow night when its full of strangers, it can get boring fast. On this particular friday night things were slow. We got bored. We moved on. This is in itsel somewhat amazing. Once I'm in a comfortable situation its very hard to get me out of it. But tongiht was a magical night of beery adventure, so we hit the streets of pasadena and headed for Lucky Bladwin's

The Fourth Beer
I know I sais earlier that one your third beer you are locked in but a change of venue can clear the slate. The next beer...Stella Artois. A beer notable for not only for its flavor, but for it's penchant for fucking you up. With this choice of beer we asserted our willingness to push past the edge. After all we had just walked a whole 100 yards without a beer, we had to catch up. Lucky B's serves thier beer slightly warmer than the crown and I like my Stella cold.

The Fifth Beer
The Fifth beer went in three different directions. Randy stuck with the Stella Alex went with a Newcastle and I went with a Craftman's ale called orange grove. An orangy tasting hefeweizen. This was after all a night of beery adventure. The fourth and fifth beers were served by one of the largest women I have ever seen. She had problems pulling beers from the tap, on Randy's second Stella she pulled three-quarters foam. But she was quick and polite so a little foam can be forgiven.

Intermission the Second
Nothing against Lucky Baldwin's but it was as dead that night as the crown was and on top of that, there was a tinge of vomit in the air. Besides I was starting to get a little worried about how trashed my beery adventure was getting me. If I was going to get hammered then by god it was going to be at my home base. The crown city brewery. We were once gain free on the streets of Pasadena.

The Sixth Beer
By the time we had gotten back to the Crown I was definitely feeling the effects of out adventure thus far. (Damn you Stella, you did this to me!) So what do you do when you are really too fucked up to keep drinking but then again its too early to go home. You need some light, but you don't want the adventure to end. Well my friend, thats when you hit up the tecate. Its the lime that makes it good.

The Seventh Beer
The seventh beer lkie any last beer was a mistake. It was only ordered because I didn't want to order just one beer back at the crown...its rude. So with one more Tecate in me, Randy doubled over with intestinal problems, Alex getting sick of us and Lauri newly arrived but tired from work. We go our separate ways.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Man that was a cool post. I wasn't sick of you and my car was involved in a hit and run.

Randy said...

That was definitely one of the best posts we've ever had

Lauri said...

Wow Pete great blog! It was a very good play by play.