Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Life...Outside the Rat Race

I'm contemplating a day out of doors tommorow (today for you readers). I can either head up the Angeles Crest to Switzer's camp and head up the trail. The canyon there is gorgeous, its nothing but mountains in every direction. A short walk up the canyon wall give you a perfect view of Switzer falls, one of the best in the Angeles. With all the run off this year the water will be flowing high and I might get my feet wet in the icy cold stream. The only problem is that its miles and miles before you actually get to any destination. Still it would be a nice walk. It's gonna be hot up there but the trail is mostly flat until you start heading back down to JPL.
The other option is to head up into the mountains on highway 39 out of Azuza. 30 minutes up the highway is the West Fork road. The road is perfect for a mountain bike and the San Gabriel river runs high here, largely undisturbed, especially a couple miles back. At about the 4.5 mile mark there is a nice little pool where I've never failed to pull a trout out of the river. If I left at 8 I could have my line in the water by 11 at the latest. Fish for a few hours and then be back home by 3:30 or four. With a quiet soul a nice tan and ready to go to work.

1 comment:

Lauri said...

Have fun Pete! I'll be here at work, watching my fishing license waste away. Be careful.