Friday, July 29, 2005

R. Moe reporting from Alaska

So what is going on down there people? I see the WordSmith has been added to our blog. Let me be the first to say welcome aboard. I think you will be a nice addition to our little blog family.
Now onto more pressing matters. I was scheduled to begin my trip home this Sunday July 31; however, I have since decided to stay an additional week making my scheduled departure date August 7. I know it will be crushing to you all to have to live without me for another week but I think if you all pull together you can make it. Fight, fight for me.
So since my last blog I have actually hiked a few times 3 hikes to be more exact with many more to come next week since there will be no workgroup here. I will be posting pictures as soon as I transfer them to a CD and move them to another computer. It will be later today not sure when but later today for sure. I will now go into a little more detail about the hikes I went on. Read on if you like or don't up to you...

Wednesday
1st hike: Eyak River Trail -- 3.3 miles -- Difficulty: Easy
This trail was cool. The first 1/4 mile or os is pretty hard becauseyou are on a really muddy path with lots of things to climb over and streams to jump. But once you get past there it opens into a rolling muskeg meadow and you walk on boards. Now when I went on this trail I was with other people and we couldn't make it to the end of the trail because it was raining kinda hard and we had kids with us. So we made it about halfway through. Next week though I am going to get dropped off at the end of the trail and then hike back to the start so I can get the whole experience without the round trip nonsense. It was a fun time.

2nd hike: Haystack Trail -- 0.8 miles -- Difficulty: Moderate
Obviously the length of this trail makes it fairly easy; however, the fact that it is going up almost the entire way makes it a little difficult. I was sweating going up this trail but the view was worth it I thought. No wildlife could be spotted except for a few eagles far away. But the view was nice anyway and I have pictures they will be posted on the next blog. Anyway the way back down was easy I slipped though and got my jeans dirty it was still wet from the earlier rain. Anyway that was a pretty cool hike except for all the West Virginia workgroup we had to take some of them are super annoying. Oh well...

Thursday
3rd hike: Copper River Trail -- 0.8 miles -- Difficulty: Easy
This trail is short and super easy. It is out by Childs Glacier and the Million Dollar Bridge. Basically this is where the road goes no further. Anyway so we did this hike after we had luch out at the glacier. We had hot dogs roasted over an open fire and smores. A pretty big chunk of the glacier fell off and that was cool but other than that not a whole lot happened. I had a good time though it was cold but that is to be expected when you are across the river from a 300ft wall of ice. So that was a really easy hike though.
That's it for my hikes like I said pictures later today on my next blog so keep an eye out. I think I will go on another hike later tonight...maybe... but if not tonight definitely tomorrow.
I guess that is it California, you guys try to stay cool down there and help control the animal population by spaying and neutering your pets. BUH-BYE!!

P.S. I am changing my time on the blog while here so it is an hour behind if you care.

No comments: