Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Riding and Fishing

Well, as it turns out I went for ride along the west fork river and a little fishing. The ride was a little bit more difficult than I thought it was going to be. I guess thats what I get for letting myself get so out of shape. I always get nervous going up there by myself. The first 100 yards of the ride is populated by the trashiest people you ever want to meet swimming and bathing in the river. But once you get past where the lazy fear to tread you have 5 miles of riverside riding almost completely to yourself. As I guessed the river was running a lot higher than it was last year and it semed like there were more good spots for fishing than in the past. It took me about a half hour of riding, averaging 9 miles per hour to reach the fishing hole I liked 4.5 miles into the ride. I anxiously got my pole together and threw it in the water. The best bait for this place is night crawlers but I've caught fish with salmon eggs before, which is what I was using today. Like I said yesterday I don't think I've ever come here without catching a fish, but today was just not to be. I couldn't even get a nibble. I suspect the hooks I was using were too big. I could see the fish in the water and I could spot them jumping for bugs but I couldn't get them to bite my line. It was fine, it was just nice being out of doors. After about an hour and half of fishing and unfouling my line. I decided to head upstream a little further and see if I could find a better spot. I found a nice little spot about a mile up the road with a little beach and everything. It felt promising, but alas I had no bites. After that I rode another half mile up the road to the campground that was there. Glenn Campground. It was empty as usual on a week day. I rode down fast, no hads coasting the five miles back to my car through the crowd of hillbillies and immigrant families and drove home.

1 comment:

Lauri said...

"I caught three fish...you only caught one and it died!" LOL